Thursday, April 8, 2010

Laga Handbags on Oprah



So, 2010 started out pretty uneventful, really. As opposed to 2009 when we we hit the ground running on January 2nd participating in 6 trade shows setting the tone for the entire year, this year we decided to concentrate our efforts on marketing our website. We also did a LOT of networking!


One of our networking ventures involved Malaak Compton-Rock, who recently wrote the book entitled, "If It Takes a Village, Build One."



We have been communicating with Malaak via email over the last two years, trying to hook up. She is an amazing woman, the founder of AngelRock Project, and who is accomplishing amazing things and we were hoping to perhaps work on our Laga project together.

Well, although she showed tremendous interest in our story and expressed an affection for somehow finding a way we could collaborate, the timing was always off. Either she was away in Africa on a mission or we were away on business.

But then last week we received a surprise call from Harpo Productions telling us that Malaak Compton-Rock had recommended our Laga bags for a segment they're doing on "Companies That Give Back."


WOW!

It was a fairly short conversation, requesting us to send samples as soon as possible as they were scheduling taping for which was to be 10 days later. We scrambled to put together the best selection of our bags and sent them on their way. I followed up with an email three days later to be sure they received our bags but I heard nothing back.

"Ok, they probably aren't interested..." I thought.

Not wanting to give up and trying to maintain a positive outlook, I waited a couple of days and decided to give them a call. It was late in the day, 5pm in Chicago, so I was expecting just to leave a voice message. But I found a cheerful voice on the line.

"I'm so sorry I didn't return your email... I can't believe I didn't tell you: YOU MADE THE CUT!"

What? We got cut?

"Everyone here absolutely LOVES your bags! We're taping the segment on Sunday the 11th and your Laga bags are going to be on The Oprah Show on Tuesday, the 13th!"

OMG... OMG... O M G!!!!

So apparently, Malaak will introduce our story and our bags to Oprah and her audience on the 13th...

WOW!

I'm still a little dizzy and we have so much to do to get ready for what we hope will be the opening of "the flood gates of heaven!" I need to focus... I need to get prepared... and I need to leave the rest to God...

"Thank you sooooooooo much Malaak!"
And thank you to all of you who have been praying for us, for your support and encouragement!

Well, gotta run and take care of the details.... but don't forget to watch The Oprah Show this coming Tuesday, April 13th at whatever time she comes on in your area! If you're not home during the day, DVR it!

2 comments:

Lil Ms International said...

Congrats to the Laga Family! As always I am your #1 fan and supporter! :) Now, check out my blog too, become a follower! :)

<3 Nicole

becaboo said...

Yeah! What great news, Louise! Congrats to you and Roy and all the Laga Family! I am so happy to be a part of such a worthwhile cause. Can't wait to see them on TV! I am going out to spread the word!