Sunday, April 11, 2010

If It Takes A Village, Build One

We've been trying to prepare ourselves for great things coming up.

What were our chances of having our Laga handbags on The Oprah Winfrey Show? I mean, she is pretty much the most influential woman in our lifetime, this is her final season on television, why on earth would they choose US of all the people in the world to be amongst those featured?

Crazy as it may seem, the taping of her show is happening TODAY and Oprah herself will be introduced to our story and our Laga bags TODAY!

SURREAL!

I shared the connection with Malaak C. Rock in my last blog. Feel free to read it again. Well, the story just gets more amazing...

So, after two years of trying to connect with her, she decides to follow me on Twitter (you are welcome to as well, of course!). And on Thursday I happened to read her tweet: ..."book signing at Vromans Bookstore in Pasadena this Saturday."

O M G

This was our chance to finally connect with her. We started thinking of ways we could make it special. So we invited everyone we knew in the So Cal area to join us at this event. We asked our dear friends and staunch supporters at McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants to provide some goodies for the event(thank you so much, Rene!!!!). We offered to purchase Malaak's book for everyone who attended. And, even though it was pretty last minute, we had a really great turn out ~ at least half the crowd consisted of our faithful Laga family!



I just have to say, the signing event for Malaak Compton-Rock's new book, "If It Takes A Village, Build One" was one of unforgettable inspiration for me. Malaak was everything and more of what I knew she would be. Incredible. Her heart and passion for living a life of service touched me so deeply and inspired me to no end.

She shared her life's story, how her mother had always been a social activist and how she too now is living that life and teaching her children as well. It brought tears to my eyes (ok, more than just a few I must admit, especially when she called me out on it!) when she talked about her program (one of many) called Journey for Change geared toward at-risk youth (empowering youth through global service), giving them an opportunity to travel with her to an area in South Africa to see first-hand and personally talk to other children who are enslaved there (yes, modern-day slavery exists!). She has dedicated her life to teaching these inner city kids that they, even in their hardships and impoverish environment, can make a difference in other people's lives. That they are important and can have a wonderful future and life of service.

O M G

In her book she tells those stories and then goes on to tell the world how, in your small or large way, can also live a life of service. Helping Others. In her book "If It Takes A Village, Build One" she explains 100+ ways you can do that.

I can't even begin to express what an impact I think this book will have on your life. PLEASE GO OUT TODAY AND GET A COPY!



This Tuesday, April 13th, Malaak will be on Oprah to talk about her book, and she will be the one to share our Laga story as an example of how we are making our small difference in the world.

Thank you everyone who came out in support of Laga! Without your love and dedication, it would be impossible for us to exist, let alone thrive!






Thank you, Malaak, for making such a wonderful impact on the world. For dedicating yourself to a life of service. To teaching your children and ALL of us that "service is the rent we pay for living."

3 comments:

Lil Ms International said...

So excited that I was a part of HISTORY! Love you guys! CONGRATS before the storm! :)

<3 Nicole

Faiza said...

Just heard about the amazing work you are doing on...Oprah! I immediately went to your site and bought myself a birthday gift - one of your gorgeous wallets!

Can't wait to receive it so I can blog about it and help spread the word some more.

Keep believing in the best in people. You are hope.

Encourage and Uplift said...

I absolutely luv your bags! And what a great thing you are doing! I luv it! God Bless you! I saw them on Oprah today!