Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pauley Perrette


OK, so we met Pauley at an HUMC event we did about 3 years ago. Here's how it went:

We had been invited by our dear friend, Rae Sowell, to set up a table in the fellowship hall in the back of the church and sell our Laga bags. It was to be an "alternative" Christmas boutique as it was held sometime in October. It was pretty cool because, during the service, Reverend Kathy introduced us and requested the congregation to be sure and visit us in the back after the service.

Anyway, people were coming in and browsing through our bags and we were telling everyone the story behind how we got started. Most people were buying our smaller handbags and wallets. But then this girl came over and started oohing and aahing over our bags. She was picking up three or four of our bigger bags and asking her friend what she thought of them. I didn't really think she was gonna buy all the bags she was holding but lo and behold, she came over and said, "I'll take these." She must have had about 6 bags and two were the large travelers. Nice sale, I thought!

As I was taking her information, I looked at her driver's license and it didn't have an address. I always make sure to get all the information and asked her why she didn't have an address on her DL. She just casually stated, "I'm a public person, I never give out my address, for security reasons." I thought to myself, "what the heck is a public person?" but of course didn't say anything out loud. I just thought it a bit odd.

Anyway, her friend came over to buy two more bags and just to make conversation, I asked her what she did for a living. She pointed to the first girl and said, "I'm her personal assistant." Hmmmmm.... At the risk of sounding really stupid, I asked her, "who is she?" And she answered, "she's Pauley Perrette, she plays Abby on NCIS."

OK, by this point I should have known who she was but unfortunately I never watched that show. :(

My husband was standing behind me and I heard him blurt out, "I KNEW IT!"

Anyway, to make a long story short, Pauley was buying our bags to give out as Christmas presents to her family. We asked if we could take a few pictures with her and she was very kind to agree.



We've done the event at HUMC twice after this and each time Pauley has been so supportive... the following year my husband Roy wanted to be in the picture with her:

She has become one of Laga's staunch supporters, as is Rae and Rev. Kathy and Angela and many others at HUMC. We thank them heartily for giving us the opportunity to share our mission with them and for always being so kind to invite us to be a part of their HUMC family!

No comments: